So, if this story brings bad memories, you tried to be romantic, lighting candles all over the room, but it strained the rug, or you dropped some hair removal wax on the floor, this article will help you learn how to get rid of all that wax! Cleaning any type of wax out of a carpet is a must-know skill in every household, we are here to share with you some tips & tricks!
There are two very effective ways to get rid of wax, and all you need, you already have at home, no fancy or expensive equipment is needed.
Let’s start with the easier method. On average, this takes less than 25 min.
First things first – prepare your supplies:
- When vacuuming the floor or carpet in your living room, quickly swap the attachment fitting for the upholstery cleaner and get rid of any dirt, crumbs, fluff, and whatever else there might be off your velvet sofa.
- A bag of ice
- Paper towel/ Terry-cloth towel
- Carpet cleaner
- Dull knife
2. Once the place is frozen, take the knife and scrape off as much of the wax as you can. If you are lucky, at this point you will be able to remove all the wax with your dull knife, so no other challenges will be waiting for you!
3. Use a vacuum cleaner to remove all remaining wax from the carpet.
4. Apply any kind of carpet cleaner, if you don’t have it at home, you can also use simple rubbing alcohol to get the job done. Dab the area with a towel, dip in the cleaning product. Then, use another towel to dry as much as you can and leave the spot to air dry.
It was easy, right? If the stain is small, this method can help you get the wax out of your carpet. But oftentimes it is not enough. If on the second step you don’t succeed in removing the wax with a knife, it is time to include a step with a hot tool.
The second method is a bit of a headache, but most importantly, it works if you do it right! The time it may take is around 45 min.
You will need all the same products as the first one, including:
- Iron or a hair dryer
1. Put an ice bag, wrapped in a cloth over the stain. Press a bit more if you need to, for a better effect.
2. After it is frozen, scrape the wax with a dull knife. Remove the wax from the fibers.
3. Clean all the wax that comes off.
4. Place a paper or Terry-cloth towel over the wax stain. Put your hot tool on a low temperature; we don’t want to ruin the carpet by melting its fibers! Also, make sure you don’t use the steam setting as it will have a similar effect. Slowly start to rub the iron/ hair dryer over the towel; it will absorb the wax-like magic. Repeat the process until the wax has been fully absorbed.
5. Get any remaining bits of the wax out of the carpet with a carpet cleaner or rubbing alcohol. Blot with a fresh cloth until the stains are gone, then blot again until the spot is dry.
6. Vacuum the carpet.
This step-by-step process takes time, but as you can see it is quite simple. You can also apply it to remove wax from any other fabric piece if needed.
By taking the time to clean this mess, you probably saw some other areas over your carpet that need to be cleaned. You can take all the time to research, prepare and try to take them off, or you can simply call a professional carpet cleaning company to save you all this trouble. You can always count on our services! Our team is highly experienced in the most effective carpet cleaning methods, using professional equipment.
We will not only remove the wax stain but leave your carpet sparkling clean as a new one! It is a good investment, right? Save your time and let the professional experts do the job!
Share This Story